It doesn’t matter if you’re trying to tune a guitar, study a new language, or just add puppy ears to a selfie, there is an app for that! And for older adults, aging in place technology can be an essential element in improving safety, comfort, and overall quality of life.
Take Amazon’s Alexa, as an example. While its current benefits for seniors are many, such as the ability to track glucose levels, make physician appointments, and research information related to a particular medical condition, it’s actually poised to delve even deeper into the medical care arena – maybe even detecting heart attacks and helping doctors get accurate diagnoses.
Here are several additional aging in place technology solutions you may want to consider for a senior you love:
- Home Security: A motion-detecting home security system provides peace of mind pertaining to crime prevention, but frequently can perform a lot more, such as notifying when detecting smoke, broken glass, or temperatures in the house which are too high or low, just to name a few. They’re also beneficial for people who have dementia who might be vulnerable to wandering, to alert to an older adult’s activities.
- Telehealth: Save a trip to the doctor’s office by utilizing one of a number of apps that enable remote consultations from board-certified physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists, some of whom are available around the clock, 7 days a week.
- Fall Prevention: One of the top contributors to older adult falls is deficient lighting. Smart lights use motion detection to boost lighting in areas of specific concern, like between the bedroom and bathroom, or on exterior walkways, when triggered by a person’s movement.
- Fraud Protection: Senior con artists are unrelenting and constantly changing their approaches. Older adults can boost security through apps that check financial activity and neighborhood crime activity, reduce robocalls, identify any usage of a person’s Social Security number, and so much more.
- Health Care: a number of health care needs are able to be met from the comfort of home, such as video chats with health practitioners to avoid a visit to the office, medication ordering, and medication management to ensure meds are taken at the correct times and in the correct doses.
Contact JFS Care, providers of the best home health Los Angeles seniors need, for additional recommendations on improving life at home for older adults – whether with aging in place technology, our knowledgeable in-home care assistance, or both! We are always available to help set up and explain technological options, and also to provide you with the tried-and-true, hands-on assistance in the home that enables aging parents to live their best lives. Contact us any time at (213) 383-2273 for an in-home consultation and let us know how we can help! View a full list of the areas we serve here.